My Self-Help Bookshelf
I love books and often gain important insights, ideas and inspirations from them. Sometimes we can read something that offers us a 'glimmer' of hope and encouragement. Each week I will be adding a new book to this page that relates to the topics of my blogs and social media. As this virtual bookshelf grows, I hope you find one (or several) that is right for you!
My Favorite Books
The Mindful Self-Compassion Workbook by Drs. Kristin Neff and Christopher Germer.
This book is a wonderful guide to practicing self-compassion. I recommend it to many (if not most) of my clients and reference it frequently for myself.
The Gifts of Imperfection by Dr. Brene Brown. This was the first book I've read by Brene Brown and it guided me to further reading on self-compassion, resilience, gratitude, play and creativity. Brene blends humour, honesty, kindness and backs up her advice with research and personal experience.
Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle by Drs. Emily & Amelia Nagoski.
This book is empowering, inspiring, encouraging and blends research with humour and compassion. It will help you learn how to manage stress (aka complete the stress cycle) and feel more comfortable in your body and with yourself.
The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You by Dr. Elaine Aron. If you find yourself more sensitive to the sights, sounds and emotions around you, you may be highly sensitive. This book helps explain how (and why) 'HSP's' experience the world differently and how to utilize your strengths and protect your peace.
I usually have more than one book on the go as each serves a different purpose or intention. These are currently sitting on my desk, on the back of my couch, or open in my Audible app.
1. The Myth of Normal: Trauma, illness & healing in a toxic culture by Gabor Mate and Daniel Mate.
2. Joyful: The surprising power of ordinary things to create extraordinary happiness by Ingrid Fetell Lee.
3. Think Again: The Power of knowing what you don't know by Adam Grant.
4. Four Thousand Weeks: Embrace your limits, change your life by Oliver Burkeman.
5. Come As You Are: The surprising new science that will transform your sex life by Emily Nagoski.
6. The Food & Feelings Workbook by Karen Koenig.
7. The Heart of Yoga: Developing a personal practice by T. K.V. Desikachar.
8. Good Inside by Becky Kennedy.
9. Dopamine Nation: Finding balance in the age of indulgence by Anna Lembke.
10. The Science of Compassion by Kelly McGonigal.
More books to be added soon on joy, people-pleasing, play, boundaries, mindfulness, healing from trauma, disordered eating, body image, healthy relationships, communication, confidence, and of course compassion!